Fisherman’s Red Clam Chowder
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Serves 6–8
- 4 slices bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 ½ cups (1 large) chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
- 2 cups baby potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 (10-ounce) can baby clams, drained
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup Backyard Farms Tomatoes on the Vine, seeded, chopped
- ⅓ cup bacon pieces
Place bacon in Dutch oven. Cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently, until bacon is crisp (8 to 10 minutes). Remove bacon and bacon grease; set aside.
In same Dutch oven, place 2 tablespoons reserved bacon grease. Add onions; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until onions are softened (5 to 6 minutes).
Add flour; continue cooking, stirring constantly, until flour is bubbly and slightly brown (1 to 2 minutes).
Add clam juice, potatoes, bay leaf, thyme leaves, cayenne pepper, and ketchup. Increase heat to high; continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until chowder comes to a boil (4 to 5 minutes).
Reduce heat to medium low and cover; continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are softened (18 to 20 minutes).
Stir in clams, half and half, tomatoes, and bacon pieces. Continue cooking until heated through (4 to 5 minutes).