Tomato Garden Relish
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Makes about 2 half-pints
- 2 cups Backyard Farms Tomatoes on the Vine, peeled, seeded, and diced ¼ inch thick
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- Salt to taste
- Coarse black pepper for grinding
Place the mustard seeds in a small glass bowl and cover with the vinegar. Let soak for 30 minutes.
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Add the onions and cook down over low heat until they are wilted. Add the tomatoes and continue cooking uncovered over low heat for 10 minutes. Add the mustard seeds with the vinegar and continue cooking until the tomatoes have thickened and look “jammy.” Stir in the sugar and cook for about 3 minutes. Turn off the heat, add salt and pepper.
Transfer to jars and store in the refrigerator.
Variations: Celery, basil, capers can be added to create different flavor combinations.