Picnic Tomato and Green Bean Salad
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 2 hours
- SERVES 4-6
- 2 cups Backyard Farms Cocktail Tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons rice wine or white balsamic vinegar
- Fine sea salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup fresh mint, minced (plus additional for garnish)
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed and beans cut in half on the diagonal
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ⅓ cup toasted pine nuts
Combine the garlic, onion, oil, vinegar, salt, sugar and ¼-cup of the mint in a rectangular 9x12 glass baking dish. Let marinate at room temperature for at least an hour.
Cook the beans in boiling salted water until they are just tender, about 8 minutes. Drain them and transfer immediately to a bowl of ice water. This will help maintain their vibrant green color. Drain them on a towel and add to the marinade along with the tomatoes. Toss several times and allow to stand covered at least 1 hour. Just before serving, add the feta cheese, pine nuts, remaining mint and toss again.
Note: For a picnic, place the marinated salad in a covered plastic container. Keep the feta cheese, pine nuts and mint separate and add them just before serving.