Tomato Soup with Lentils and Sausage
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 55 minutes
- Serves 4-6
- 1½ cups lentils
- 1½ pounds sweet Italian sausage links
- ¼ cup diced pancetta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large leek, white bulb only, cut into thin rings
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 2 cups Backyard Farms Tomatoes on the Vine, coarsely chopped
- 5 cups vegetable or beef stock
Preheat the oven to 325°F.
Pour the olive oil into a heavy duty oven-to-table pot and brown the sausage along with the pancetta over medium high heat. Transfer the sausage and pancetta to a dish and set aside.
Sauté the leek, celery and carrot in the pan drippings until they soften. Stir in the garlic and cook until also softened.
Raise the heat to high, and pour in the wine; allow it to come to a boil. Lower the heat to simmer and stir in the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the lentils.
Return the sausage and pancetta to the pan and cover the mixture with the vegetable or beef stock.
Cover the pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
Recipe courtesy of Mary Ann Esposito of Ciao Italia