Grilled Tomato, Eggplant, and Provolone Cheese Sandwich
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Makes 4 Sandwiches
- 2 medium Backyard Farms Beefsteak Tomatoes, cut into 4 round slices
- ¼ cup whipped cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 8 thick slices sourdough (or similar) bread
- 4 slices eggplant, cooked
- 1½ cups mild Provolone cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons butter
Combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise and salt in a small bowl and spread on each of the 4 bread slices. Top each bread slice with an eggplant slice. Divide and sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese over the eggplant, then top each with two tomato slices. Divide and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup cheese over the tomatoes and cover each with remaining bread slices.
Melt the butter in a non-stick saute pan and cook two sandwiches at a time, pressing them with a spatula. Turn over and brown the other side, adding more butter as needed until the cheese is oozy and the bread nicely browned. Serve hot.
Note: this can also be done using a Panini press.