Baked Tomato Sauce Chicken Thighs
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 50 minutes
- Serves 4
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh greated ginger
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 cup diced Backyard Farms Tomatoes on the Vine
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons spicy grainy mustard
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken thighs cut in half to make 8 pieces
- 2 tablespoons Wondra flour (Find Wondra flour in the baking aisle of your grocery store. It provides a light sandy coating for frying that is not as heavy as regular flour.)
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Heat the olive oil in a medium size saucepan and add the olive oil, garlic and ginger and cook until the garlic is soft and the mixture is fragrant. Add the pepper flakes and cook 1 minute. Add the hot sauce, tomatoes, vinegar and mustard. Mix well and cook over medium low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both side then coat them lightly but evenly on both sides with the flour.
Lightly brush a 9 x 12 inch baking dish with olive oil and place the thighs in a single layer in the pan. Pour half the sauce evenly over the thighs, and reserve the other half to apply throughout the baking time and for serving.
Bake in a pre-heated oven for 35 minutes total, basting the thighs (after the first 5 minutes) every 10 minutes with the sauce and turning them once. They should be nicely browned and glazed looking. Serve in a platter, drizzled with pan juices and reserved sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Mary Ann Esposito of Ciao Italia