French Stuffed Tomatoes
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 5 Minutes
- Serves 4
- 4 large Backyard Farms Beefsteak Tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups chopped leftover pot roast
- ¼ cup orange or yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup cucumber, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 2 ounces blue cheese
- 1/3 cup regular or low-fat mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plain regular or low-fat Greek yogurt
- Freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup plain panko bread crumbs
- 2 ½ tablespoons salted butter, melted
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Note: If you do not have leftover pot roast handy, use roast beef or steak.
Position an oven rack 4-6 inches from the broiler element. Preheat the broiler.
Cut tops off the tomatoes. Hollow out the insides, keeping the tomato flesh intact and discarding any woody parts or seeds. Arrange, open side up, on a rimmed baking sheet.
Dice the tomato flesh and tops (minus stems) and place in a large bowl along with meat, bell pepper, cucumber and onion. Crumble in the blue cheese; stir gently to incorporate.
Whisk together mayonnaise and yogurt in small bowl. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Pour the yogurt mixture over the tomato-meat stuffing and stir gently to coat. Use this to fill each tomato, heaping it slightly over the edges.
Combine the panko, butter and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese in a medium bowl, then spoon over each filled tomato. Sprinkle lightly with pepper, if desired.
Broil for a few minutes, just long enough to lightly brown the crumb topping, but not long enough to cook the tomato. Divide among individual plates and serve right away.