Backyard Farms Powerhouse Cocktail Tomato, Kale and Quinoa Salad
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 0 minutes
- Serves 4
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice plus zest
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Grinding black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 cup quinoa
- ¾ cup chicken broth or water
- 4 cups shredded kale
- 4 Backyard Farms Cocktail Tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cucumber, peeled, cut in half lengthwise and cut into ¼ inch thick slices
- 1 hard boiled egg, shelled and chopped
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup croutons, optional (see note)
Add this delicious powerhouse Backyard Farms tomato, kale and quinoa salad tossed together with a refreshing lemon dressing to your repertoire and it will quickly become one of your favorites.
In a bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients and set aside.
For the salad:
Heat the olive oil in a medium size saucepan; add the onion and cook until it softens. Stir in the quinoa and cook with the onion for 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth or water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to simmer; cover the pan and cook until the quinoa has absorbed all the liquid.
Drain the quinoa in a colander and transfer it to a small bowl. Set aside.
In a salad bowl, combine the kale, tomatoes, and cucumber. Add the quinoa and toss. Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the egg and cheese over the salad and toss gently.
Top with the croutons and serve
To make croutons:
2 cups stale bread, cut into small cubes
1 stick melted butter
Toss the bread cubes with the butter until well combined and transfer them to a non-stick baking sheet. Bake them in a preheated 350°F oven for about 15 minutes or until browned. Cool and store airtight.
Recipe Prepared for Backyard Farms by Mary Ann Esposito of Ciao Italia.